Prosecutor: No grand jury in teen shooting death

State Attorney Angela Corey has decided not to use a Grand Jury in the Trayvon Martin shooting death investigation.

“The decision should not be considered a factor in the final determination of the case,” Corey’s office said in a news release. “The Grand Jury, set to convene on April 10, 2012, was previously scheduled by the former prosecutor.”

Florida Gov. Rick Scott on March 22 appointed Corey as a special prosecutor.

“From the moment she was assigned, Ms. Corey noted she may not need a Grand Jury,” Corey’s office said.

“At this time, the investigation continues and there will be no further comment from this office,” according to the statement.

George Zimmerman is accused in the shooting death of Martin. Zimmerman has claimed self defense.

About the author

Express Telegraph

Express-Telegraph is a news outlet for the 21st century. Based in Metro Atlanta, the outlet focuses on news, politics and sports centered on The Peach State. Get on board the Express.