Thomson Reuters today announced the launch of Reuters America, a flagship domestic news, information and services offering designed to provide US publishers and broadcasters with the tools they need to increase efficiency, reduce cost and drive revenue.
Reuters America was born out of ongoing conversations and collaborations with publishers across the United States, including Tribune Company, and is designed to address the challenges the media industry faces today.
“For too long, this market was bound by a one-size-fits-all offering,” said Chris Ahearn, president of media for Thomson Reuters. “Reuters America is introducing choice and flexibility to the news industry. In today’s world, we must be more than a content provider — we need to be a partner and act as an extension of our clients’ newsroom.”
Reuters America has been developed as part of a multimillion-dollar investment in editorial content and technology to transform the way the Reuters news agency platform services its media clients around the world. The offering leverages the company’s strong foundation in international and domestic news, and introduces customized services to provide newsrooms with tailored, fit-for-purpose news solutions.
Ahead of the launch of this new offering, Tribune Company signed a multi-year deal with Reuters to provide news, photo, digital, graphics and online video services for the company’s newspapers, including the Chicago Tribune and the Los Angeles Times, and all publishing and broadcast websites.
“Our partnership with Reuters gives us greater freedom in customizing news coverage that fits our needs. Competition increases choice, spurs innovation and makes everyone more responsive to the needs of the marketplace. We’re delighted to be working with Reuters,” said Gerould W. Kern, SVP and editor of Chicago Tribune. Mr. Kern led the efforts to develop this service on behalf of the Tribune Company.
As part of the new platform, Reuters is augmenting its investment in growing its US domestic editorial operation with key content contributors to increase coverage in areas such as entertainment and sports. The following will begin distributing content with Reuters to US media clients this year:
- The Wrap News, the leading news organization covering the business of entertainment and media
- SportsDirect Inc., delivering comprehensive and innovative sports content solutions since 1995
- The Sports Xchange, an industry-leading turnkey editorial solution with coverage of more than 600 professional and college teams
- US PRESSWIRE, a leading sports image wire service covering over 6,200 sporting events annually
- SB Nation, the leading publisher of professional quality sports content from the fan’s perspective
- Examiner.com, whose 65,000 contributors generate thousands of articles every day, deliver fresh, original, and locally-relevant content
Reuters America is in active trials with major publishers across the United States and marks the first step toward a global transformation to equip Thomson Reuters media clients with the content and tools they need to succeed within the changing industry. In 2011, Thomson Reuters will announce the launch of several additional services and offerings in key media markets around the world.